I’m a design wannabe. I want to refashion, redecorate and redo.

To shift from stylishly-plain to remarkably chic... Moss Abode a la Mode.


DIY - 1940's Sideboard

April 14, 2010

When my mom was recently visiting, we refinished a sideboard I found on Craigslist.

I love Craigslist.

DH and I have bought and sold furniture, tickets, found apartments, etc.  It's every San Franciscans tool -- shoot  it's every man's tool!  I've got mad love for Craig.  I digress.

Just so you know, my mother is amazing at all things DIY, especially home improvement projects.  Tearing out walls, building cabinets or furniture, installing wood flooring, renovating bathrooms, etc.  She does it all!  She's a full-time lawyer and a part-time DIYer who totally wishes her titles were reversed.  

The transformation of this ridiculously heavy, 1940's sideboard was astounding.  Like night and day from its original form.  And I love what it adds to our home. 

BEFORE:


AFTER:


Aside from the time invested to refinish it and the assorted new tools, this was a relatively inexpensive undertaking.  The sideboard, new pulls, fabric, stain, poly and sanding papers brought the total to right around $200.

I'd still like to paint the insides of the cabinets and line the drawers.  Maybe a teal blue acrylic paint to match the shade in the material.  Something vibrant and unexpected.

I like the unexpected!

3 comments:

Pink Inc. said...

I love how the sideboard turn out it looks fabulous!

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Love the sideboard makeover. I just don't know about that fabric? I'm torn. I think, I would have left it open or used mirror there.

Morgan said...

Wow - love this makeover! Beautiful.

Morgan@PepperDesignBlog.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails